Lawn Preparation To Replace Bermuda Grass
Bermuda grass will become completely dormant in the winter. The process begins as the days get short. It is useless to try to replace Bermuda grass as it begins to become dormant. THESE INSTRUCTIONS APPLY FROM MARCH TO OCTOBER WHEN BERMUDA GRASS IS IN AN ACTIVE GROWTH.
- Spray entire lawn area with <Bonide® KleenUp® Weed & Grass Killer.
- When grass turns brown, water the area to encourage any remaining Bermudagrass to sprout.
- Spray area with Bonide® KleenUp® Weed & Grass Killer a second time and water again, as in Step 2.
- Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 a third time, if necessary, to completely eradicate the Bermuda grass.
- Skim off old lawn to a depth of three inches and discard. See Step 14 below.
- Cover the area with two to three inches of Master Nursery® Gold Rush soil amendment. Add Gypsum at the rate of five pounds per 100 square feet.
- Scatter Master Nursery® Master Start over area at the rate of ten pounds per 500 square feet and rototill soil. Rototill the Master Nursery® Gold Rush, Gypsum and Master Nursery® Master Start amendments to a minimum depth of six to eight inches although rototilling to the depth of 10 to 12 inches is preferable.
- Level the area.
- Install sprinkler system if desired.
- Water thoroughly to encourage weeds and weedy grasses to sprout. Repeat every three to four days for two weeks.
- Spray with Bonide® KleenUp® Weed & Grass Killer to kill all weeds.
- Repeat Steps 11 and 12 if necessary.
- Level again. Area should be rolled or dragged at least three times to get a good grade.
- Apply sod or seed:
- The soil layer in the sod will be three-quarter inches thick. Be sure to calculate that measurement into Step 5 and Step 6.
- Scatter seed with spreader at the rate of one pound per 100 square feet and cover with a thin layer (one-half inch) of Master Nursery® Forest Blend or Mastery Nursery® Gardener’s Gold Potting Soil.
- Roll sod or seed with a roller to ensure good contact with the prepared bed.
- Water seeded lawn twice daily and sodded lawn once a day until the lawn is two inches tall.
- Fertilize after one month with Master Nursery® Lawn Food.